One of my FAVORITE things to recommend is accessories. Finish the Look! It’s one of the EASIEST and best ways to add your personality to any outfit. Not only that, it takes all of 15 seconds to add, before walking out the door. Tiny action, massive impact.
WHY WOULD I FINISH THE LOOK?
Like I said before, to finish the look just infuses your awesome originality, personality and quite frankly, your mood into your outfit, and that can also have you feeling put together and polished. It doesn’t have to be anything big and bold; but just something to add one more fun detail to your look. And if you’ve been with me for a while, you know I’m all about the details. With the outfit below, I chose a brushed gold layered piece that just filled in the empty space a bit of the V neckline, a couple of bangles, then the rest was all about the dress shape and pattern.
ACCESSORIES CAN BE EXPENSIVE
Yes, they sure can. But they can also be super cheap….and so is the quality. I worked for an accessories brand in sales, for eight years. When I first started sharing the style, I was worried, that people would find it expensive. And some definitely did! But as time went on, and my customers kept returning for more, not because they had to replace the old one; but because they wanted more styles, and were so impressed with how great their original purchase still was.
Budget is super important to me when it comes to style. I don’t you to spend a ton of money on pieces if you don’t have any; but I also want to discourage you from getting a whole bunch of low quality “but they were so cheap” things. Those often just break and turn your ears, fingers, wrists green. Not cute. With accessories, you can be crazy creative; but may also want some super versatile and every day wearable pieces too. I absolutely think your accessory wardrobe should have both; but when you can, go for a quality piece. The accessory market is so huge, I know there is a price point out there for everyone, so keep your eyes open for pieces you’d like to add to your accessory wardrobe. Not to mention great sales all throughout the year!
WHAT DO I NEED TO FINISH THE LOOK?
Here’s what I always recommend to clients:
- a light, easy to wear dangle / chandelier earring
- a fun stud (that is not just a diamond or CZ stud, also consider looking for 3 in 1 sets where you get a stud, a small dangle and a longer dangle like the ones I’m wearing in my main photo for this post)
- 1-2 delicate necklaces that sit around the collarbone area
- delicate layering necklace (alot of stores have some that look like 3 but are just one, like the one above with the yellow button up!)
- mixed metal pendant necklace (like the one above. Mixed metals are a neutral and will go with A N Y T H I N G)
- sparkly or chunky statement piece
- something bright, bold and fun to add color and interest to any T-shirt and jean day you may have!
- arm party – this is a watch + 2 bangles / bracelets (and if you want more, I tend to go with odd numbers, so if you wanted more, add 2 more bracelets)
- cuff (this doesn’t have to be dressy. Maybe a leather, beaded or matte metal could give you an edgy option to finish the look
HOWEVER YOU FINISH THE LOOK, BE CREATIVE
Some days it will be simple and easy, others you might want to get all creative, add color and show a different side of you. Accessories also include hats, scarves, your belt and your bag of choice! I know it sounds like alot to think about when you are already feeling like picking out a cute outfit is hard enough; but it’s worth it. Fun accessories is what makes wearing, potentially, the same top and trousers as loads of other people, look so different for each one. And ladies….accessorizing and looking stylish does NOT have to be flashy and / or over the top. It’s just that final touch you add before you walk out the door, that works with / compliments / enhances the vibe of your style.
FINISH THE LOOK WITH THE OPPOSITE OF THE LOOK
It’s like when you see a chunky statement pearl and chain necklace with a Pink Floyd T-shirt, that’s freakin’ cool, right? Or a fab pair of tassel earrings and a leather cuff with the same top…well, that’s also freakin’ cool. Maybe you wear it again with a plain old pendant necklace and a watch with a couple bangles. Finishing the same look differently is a way of stretching out your wardrobe, going day to night, adding some detail and mixing your casual pieces with upscale pieces. Add a glam accessory to a causal every day look, or vice versa and see what you think! Try bold and beaded with a button up worn with the sleeves rolled up and front tucked. Better yet…wear those pieces you got on your travels with your everyday outfits when at home. It will make you smile every time you look down at that wood carved bangle or bright beaded bracelet.
Whatever you do, have fun with it….til next time Style Lovers!