Undergarments. They are absolutely necessary and a very important part of every outfit. Why? Well, it’s because it not only holds everything in place and supports good hygiene ;), it allows the fabric to flow and lay against you seamlessly, if done correctly. Wouldn’t you know it, I’ve got some thoughts on a Style Method to choosing which ones to wear.Yes….those undies do can do all of that. Why else would we shove ourselves into Spanx to look two sizes smaller, inhibit our breathing but still expect it to come off as natural and effortless?! ha!
Some of my favorite tips learned over the years are:
- Avoid wearing white on white, (or in this case…under). A white bra under a white t-shirt or blouse, especially if its a thinner or snug fabric, seems like it should work; but it doesn’t. It’s practically a big bright light saying, “Here’s my bra! See that?!” My Method to Style is to choose nude or a color closest to your skin tone…every time.
- While we are talking bras…Textured Bras – not only is color crucial for a seamless and clean look….so is the texture. Avoid wearing lace, jeweled or trimmed beauties (no matter who well they fit) when you are wearing fabric like silk, viscose, cotton / rayon blend and so on. When others can make out the lace pattern through your clothes, it throws continuity out the window.….
- I’ve made a bit of stink about this before; but we are women, bras are not new to us, so when we show off our bra straps KNOWING they shouldn’t be making an appearance, it just really defeats the purpose of the clothing. I love a good racer back top or dress. I also cannot go a day in public without a good push up bra. I nursed my babies and they took care of making me look busty ever again. SO, I get it when you don’t want to go the strapless option, because, that…for the small busted woman, just looks like you have an oversized hot dog in your shirt :/ Wait, did I say that out loud? BUT, wearing your pushup bra shows the straps. SOLUTION….quick fix is the Bra Clip you can get at almost any underwear department…I know for sure Target has an affordable one here:Bra Clip, AND it gets a 4.3 out of 5 for Customer Reviews! Now you can show off your SHOULDERS AND BACK in that Racer BACK top without those straps getting in the way! I also found this beautiful bra that comes in six different colors: Natori
- Bras, just like panties, can be seen through the fabric. I know, you are like, seriously Taryn, we are AWARE! But somedays I wonder friends! If the fabric of your shirt is not thick enough to mask the fabric of your bra, you need to go with a smooth fabric across the cup like this one: Victoria Secret (Now, if only it would make my girls look like THAT when I wear it! Haha!!)
- Color….yes, it’s available everywhere….oh how we love colorful undies! Bright pink, fun prints, sexy / strappy ones and everything in between. I think there is nothing that gives a woman a little boost of confidence like when she is feeling great. And sometimes that starts with your very first layer! So if that leopard print bejeweled accent push up bra won’t see the light of day while you kicking ass in the boardroom, then you go girl. Otherwise, maybe prioritize those great pieces for date night with the hubs. You KNOW he’ll appreciate the effort ;D
We ALL have those underwear categories…don’t lie! We have some that we should have thrown away long ago, the ones for special occasions, and everything in between. But it does matter which ones we wear with each outfit because the eye stops at the line….panty line that is. I know it isn’t something we can avoid every single day, Good GRIEF it’s a lot of work to think about whether that is showing when we are busy momming, working, feeding, changing, nursing, cooking, cleaning and everything in between! BUT, on those special occasions, maybe we have an extra minute 😉
- Make sure you wear the ones that are most likely to leave a line on your cheeks when you are wearing heavier (like denim, khaki or wool) less snug fabric. Like the boyfriend jeans, those are super forgiving! Pure joy….Pick your undies at random!! BUT if you are wearing super skinny denim, then the full bottom panty might just make an appearance. Unless of course your shirt/sweater/top covers your bottom…then again…pure joy!
- Make sure when you wear the ones that disappear between the cheeks, avoid unlined skirts, because after sitting, that fabric might migrate itself to find those disappearing undies and you will be required to try to “pick your seat” in a way that looks like you are doing anything but that, to those around you. I wish I couldn’t say that I know this from experience; but sadly, I do and I was mortified….to make matters worse, it was a VERY hot and humid summer day….ugh, I don’t want to have to paint you THAT picture!
- My favorite undies right now are from Victoria Secret and I can wear them under shorts, jeans, skirts, dresses and almost anything I have, with the exception of my dress pants and a couple of skirts. Those need the pair that are described in point #2 because ANY fabric under dressier fabric has the ability to make itself known at the least expected moment. They are these ones here: Cheeky Panty
- Friends….LADIES…..I do not make this up, I would highly recommend you do the “Butt Check Test” when wearing workout pants, leggings or dresses……stand with your back to the mirror, look over your shoulder, lean forward slightly and bring one leg up like you are going to ride a bike or walk up some stairs….check your glutes. After you stop laughing, tell me….. Can you see the flowers on your undies through the threadbare workout pants you swore looked fine? Can you see Juicy written across your butsky through that white sundress you are wearing to church? (Don’t laugh! Happened to my friend and she found out AFTER service, mass and brunch!! And when she reads that she is going to burst out laughing!! Girl….you are helping me TEACH!) Does the lace texture actually show through those cotton leggings? Cause, girl, who needs more texture across the rear when we already have cellulite to look forward to?! NOT US!
So that’s it….my thoughts on underwear. And I want to make sure I drive this point home as well….I share my Method to Style here in its entirety. That means talking about the little things that sometimes we just don’t have time for or care about. I know how it is! I have a business from home, two kids, a husband, a dog and a busy life; BUT what I AM saying is that when we spend a few minutes being intentional about how we want to style ourselves the little things matter! I certainly spent time making sure things like this were thought of when I worked at an office and wore office attire, and I just think of it a bit differently now that I get to wear whatever I want every day. Take from this post what you will; but deep down I think your inner fashionista agrees with at least some of those points ;D